Guinness has been quick to latch onto the loss with a clever marketing gimmick – that has gone viral – following Ireland’s 46-14 thrashing at the hands of the All Blacks.
The official Guinness page on Twitter posted a status advising Irish fans to lay off the foamy dark black beer.
“Have a pint of Carlsberg. We’re officially done with the colour black today,” the status said with the caption “enough said”.
* How ABs rated in Ireland rout
* Rory Best’s emotional speech
* Steve Hansen lauds forwards, defence
* England power into semifinals
* Todd yellow card bemuses ABs
* Farrell beats Aussies by himself
* Can ABs stop England’s ‘runaway rhino’?
* Kiwi TMO’s forward pass blunder
* ABs deliver defensive masterclass
* RWC results and pool standings
More than 3500 social media users have retweeted the image that has been liked by more than 15600 people in just 12 hours.
In an earlier post on Facebook, that appeared shortly after fulltime of Ireland’s quarterfinal loss, Guinness pushed the Irish to support the All Blacks for their semifinal against England next week.
The Guinness Facebook page posted a picture of a silver fern designed out of shamrocks.
It was captioned with: “You just earned 6.7 million fans.”